If you or a loved one sustained injuries directly caused by the negligent actions of another individual, compensation may be available for your losses. The Long Brothers is a personal injury law firm serving Gulf Shores, AL, that helps injured victims obtain the compensation they are rightfully owed. With our extensive investigations and attention to detail, we work relentlessly on your behalf to ensure you receive justice after an accident.
Continue reading for more information about the types of cases our firm handles and how to proceed after an accident.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Countless accidents can occur due to careless individuals. Our law firm handles numerous types of cases to better serve our Gulf Shore community, including the following:
- Car accidents
- Semi-truck accidents
- Wrongful death
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
- Brain injuries
- Dog bite injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Vacation accidents
- Products liability
- Medical malpractice
If you or someone you know was involved in an accident, contacting an experienced lawyer in Gulf Shores, AL, is vital. Personal injury cases are often complex and multiple parties may be held legally responsible for the accident. If a third party is involved, it can make the case even more challenging to file, especially since some third parties carry large insurance policies. Having an attorney by your side throughout the legal process will be to your advantage.
If you were involved in an accident, it’s also imperative to know how to proceed to protect your legal rights and any compensation you may be entitled to collect for damages.
Steps to Implement After an Accident
The moments after an accident can be frightening and overwhelming. In some cases, people respond based on their emotions and end up making decisions that negatively affect their claims later on. Our Gulf Shores personal injury lawyers have created a list of tips to help protect your claim:
- Stay at the scene of the accident – It’s important that you remain at the scene of the accident until help arrives. In car accidents, if an individual flees the scene of the accident, they could face criminal charges.
- Call for help – After an accident, contact emergency responders, including the police and paramedics.
- Receive medical attention – Even if your injuries appear to be minor, it’s in your best interest to be seen by a medical professional. The doctor can perform an evaluation and determine what treatment, if any, is necessary for your recovery.
- Collect evidence relevant to the accident – Evidence is a vital component to your case. Make sure to take photos of the accident scene and any injuries you sustained. It’s also important to obtain a copy of the police report, if applicable. Additionally, if there were any witnesses, be sure to ask for their statements and contact information.
- Do not sign any paperwork without an attorney – In many cases, insurance companies may ask for you to sign documents or record a statement, however, this can potentially damage your claim. It’s best not to sign or record anything without consulting an attorney.
- Contact a Gulf Shores personal injury lawyer – Due to the complex details involved in these types of cases, having an experienced and knowledgeable attorney will work to your benefit.
Using these suggestions after an accident that was not your fault may help protect any compensation you’re entitled to receive.
The Difference Between a Personal Injury Claim and Lawsuit
After sustaining injuries in an accident due to someone else’s wrongdoing, there are two ways you can receive compensation for damages: through a personal injury claim or by filing a lawsuit.
Personal Injury Claims
When seeking damages for your injuries, you can file a personal injury claim against the responsible party’s insurance company. Compensation awarded to an injured victim is intended to cover any expenses related to the accident. This can include medical expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, lost wages, loss of consortium, and other costs. Every personal injury case is unique, and compensation will depend on various factors pertaining to your case.
Personal Injury Lawsuits
During the negotiation stage of the claims process, both parties will attempt to agree on a settlement amount. However, if negotiations are unsuccessful and a settlement cannot be reached, you may be able to file a lawsuit. Filing a lawsuit is especially challenging without strong legal representation. For this reason, it’s even more imperative to have a Gulf Shores personal injury lawyer on your side.
One thing to keep in mind is that personal injury cases rarely go to court. Most are settled during the negotiation stage. Typically, insurance companies want to avoid the courtroom, so they will settle before a lawsuit becomes necessary. Furthermore, when insurance companies know that the injured party has competent legal representation who is willing to go to court if necessary, it often pushes them to offer a fair settlement.
However, there are cases when an injured victim makes a claim and a settlement cannot be agreed upon. If this occurs, then filing a lawsuit may be the next option.
Contact Long & Long for a Free Consultation
At The Long Brothers, we understand how an accident can impact an individual and their family. For this reason, we are dedicated to standing alongside our clients during the difficult legal process to ensure they are treated fairly.
Our attorneys can review your case and inform you of your legal options. If you have a claim, we will conduct an extensive investigation and collect the paperwork needed to build a strong case on your behalf. Furthermore, we will gather evidence, such as medical bills, to support your claim, so you have the best chance of receiving reasonable compensation for your losses.
To learn more about your legal options, call our firm today at (251) 432-2277, or fill out our free case review form. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in Gulf Shores, AL, due to a careless person, we can help.
Don’t wait long, call Long & Long.