This June, the National Safety Council (NSC) invites you to join them in the awareness of some issues that cause harm to U.S. citizens. During this month, several organizations will work with the NSC to help raise awareness about different issues each week.
The NSC is promoting awareness of the following issues:
- Week 1 – preventing prescription drug abuse
- Week 2 – stopping slips, trips, and falls
- Week 3 – adding awareness of your surroundings
- Week 4 – ending distracted driving
- Bonus week – summer safety
During this second week of National Safety Month, the NSC urges participating organizations to promote the safety of their surroundings to avoid injurious and sometimes fatal falls. According to the NSC, there has been a 112 percent increase in fatal falls among adults 65 and older since 1999.
Here are some suggestions for limiting these types of slips, trips, and falls:
- Keep healthy and active
- Take the correct medications
- Have healthy or corrected vision
- Eliminate tripping hazards
- Keep floors dry and clean
- Have grab rails next to toilets and showers
- Improve lighting
- Wear good shoes
These are good suggestions for the individual and also for a business to protect itself from causing an injury or death from a slip on their property.
If you have been injured from a slip or fall on someone else’s property, please contact Long & Long. Our team of attorneys have experience with these kinds of cases and can work towards getting you a settlement. We serve clients in Arlington, Virginia and its surrounding areas. Call us today at (251) 432-2277.